Blog Archive

Friday, April 22, 2011

Road-Tripping

The World Bank, among other groups, has invested significantly in infrastructure development in the North, including paved roads and wind turbines. The entire road from Addis to Mekelle is paved asphalt, which, makes a significant difference on so many levels. What comes to mind is not just ease of transportation and connecting the rural North to the capital, but also the many peasants who walk barefoot to the distant marketplaces or water wells. These peasants walk miles to sell the guava and carrots they grow. And students wake up before the sun rises in order to make it to school.


Traffic jams on the road up North are caused by herds of cattle or a lonely lost camel, not by cars.
Common road companions included donkeys, camels, cattle, monkeys, horses and any animal capable of carrying heavy loads. 


On the way back home to Addis and in preparation for Easter, we purchased many farm goods along the road that are cheaper than in the city...butter, eggs, guavas, papaya...8 chickens and...a live whole sheep. I put my Western reservations aside and patiently indulged in the cocodoodle doo and baaaaaaas coming from the roof of the car. 




1 comment:

  1. Natasha! Le Petit Russe. Your photographs and commentary are incredible. I read the posts backwards and when I read about the camera being stolen for a mini second, I was devastated. Thank goodness it was retrieved. I am sorry you are not sleeping well (maybe the pharmaceutical lady can give you some sleepy pills). I hope you are safe (you look nice and tan...given the recent, very chilly weather of nyc..I am a bit jealous).

    We miss you very much and unfortunately your cube is being filled by a stranger on the ecom team starting Monday. I am still with the US team...25 days since I accepted the offer...but who's counting. Maybe I will just join you in Ethiopia instead.


    Miss you! Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete